The OA Review #QuestusReviewus – Netflix Review Alex Hensley

The OA has always been something that’s caught my eye on Netflix with its interesting title picture. I remember watching the trailer on Netflix a couple times when it first came out, but I was never able to bolster enough interest to watch it. When I started the first episode, I was interested to find out what had happened to Prairie and what the show was going to be about. Overall, I felt that it was a good first season and I’m excited to see what they have in store for the next season. I saw a lot of complaints about some of the flaws in the show and I can definitely see that, but I felt that all in all it was a good mystery that kept me wanting to watch more.

For a person that really enjoyed Stranger Things, I’ve been looking for something to fill that Sci-Fi Mystery void. The first couple of episodes were pretty confusing for me, but they kept me interested. I thought that the character development took time and that the show left a lot of information out to start. I understand how this can make it confusing or annoying sometimes, but for me it’s fun to try and guess what is going on and what will happen next.  The show felt like a big puzzle that they were dragging the viewers along through. I felt that apart of the reason that I wanted to watch more was that it was because I was so confused with what was going on, but nonetheless it worked. It seems like Netflix has really honed in on this creepy Sci-Fi market of shows like The OA and Stranger Things.

I thought it was hilarious at the end when the OA led the followers to start doing a weird dance. In my opinion, it was just kind of random to have a school shooter, and then when they starting busting out into dance moves to stop him it just seemed a little too much. I thought the show was interesting up to this point, but to end like this was just kind of odd. At the end, I never really figured out what the point of Prairie’s life was which confused me. I enjoyed the constant build up and suspense throughout the season, but I felt like this final shooting season just was weird and did not help the appeal of the show.

Overall, I thought it was a good show, but not one that I would continue watching. It just seems that the show is very scattered in how it reveals details and develops the characters. I really liked the camerawork and the constant plot development throughout, but it just didn’t do it for me. It seemed like a more serious version of Stranger Things, and I felt like the character relationships in it weren’t as good as those in Stranger Things. I would recommend this to a friend that is interested in these Sci-Fi Mystery-type shows, however it’s just not for me.

Overall rating: 6.5/10