The OA Review – Hannah Alphin #questusreviewus

The OA is one of the strangest shows I have ever watched. There are many things I appreciate about the show such as its unique concept and character development. I was the most invested in Prairie (the OA) and learning more about her story. I felt like the main characters such as Prairie, Steve, and Dr. Hunter had the most character development. Surprisingly I found the relationship between Dr. Hunter and  Prairie even more interesting than her relationship with Homer. I liked how Prairie had power over Dr. Hunter although he was the one holding her captive. I wish the show would have explored their relationship more.

Although I appreciate what the show set out to accomplish, I found many aspects of it frustrating and confusing. For example, I am not sure why the characters did not use more violent means to escape Dr. Hunter’s prison, or why they had to keep their doors open for every meeting. Throughout most of the show, I found myself wondering if some things were meant to be left to the interpretation of the viewer or if the writing was merely bad. I did not find many of the characters likable besides Prairie. I wanted to know more about the side characters such as Buck and Jesse as well. Although these characters are likable, they have limited character development, so I did not feel invested in them. Also, as much as I wanted to, I could not bring myself to take the dancing scenes seriously. I understand their significance and respect the artistic vision of the show’s creators, but I found it hard to watch.

However, I cannot call this a bad show. Despite disliking some parts, I found it entertaining to watch as a whole. I believe this is due the unpredictability of the plot. There were many plot twists that I did not see coming. For instance, when French found the books under Prairie’s bed, I started to become suspicious of her story.

Furthermore, our discussion in class about this made me realize that the FBI agent could have planted the books. Ultimately, our class discussion made me like the show more because I realized many things I had missed while watching it. Additionally, I found the show entertaining due to its unpredictability. For instance, I was sure that Prairie or the other scientist would succeed at murdering Dr. Hunter. Nevertheless, the show subverts the audience’s expectations and allows Dr. Hunter to live.

Although I did not enjoy every aspect of The OA (such as the dancing), I appreciate its intricate storytelling and thought-provoking concepts. Its mysterious and unpredictable plot is what makes the show entertaining to watch. I enjoyed the trailer for season two, and I look forward to seeing how the story develops.